Pediatric Cholesterol Screening
American Academy of Pediatrics Recommends Cholesterol Testing for Children
In late 2015, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) revised its “Summary of Updated Preventive Health Care Screening and Assessment Schedule for Children’s Checkups.” The 2016 Recommendations for Preventive Pediatric Health Care (also known as the periodicity schedule) includes specific cholesterol testing guidelines for pediatric patients.
A child may have high cholesterol for a variety of reasons such as obesity, diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, or an underactive thyroid. If an initial test shows high cholesterol, the AAP recommends a pediatrician check the child’s blood again at least 2 weeks later to confirm the results. If cholesterol is still high, the doctor will also determine if the child has an underlying condition.
The AAP reports a recent government study that indicated that there is good evidence that children with cholesterol problems become adults with high cholesterol. So, it is important to monitor the cholesterol of children who may have an increased risk of elevated cholesterol.
CardioChek® PA Analyzer
Supporting The American Academy of Pediatrics' Preventive Health Care Recommendations
The CardioChek® PA test system is one of the fastest, most cost-efficient, and user-friendly methods to accurately determine lipid and glucose values at the point of care. The CardioChek PA test system provides values and measurements using the same technology as clinical laboratories. Handheld and battery-powered, the patient-friendly CardioChek PA analyzer requires a small blood sample from a simple fingerstick.
- Child-Friendly – Avoids venous blood draw with only a small fingerstick sample.
- Reimbursable – Revenue opportunity for physician offices with minimal start-up cost.
- Fast – On-site cholesterol results in as little as 45 seconds.
- Portable – Lightweight, handheld, battery-operated analyzer with test strips that can be stored and used at room temperature. May be used in multiple exam rooms.
- Meets NCEP guidelines for accuracy and precision
Proficiency Testing & Calibration Verification